loader image



Available Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm

 Understanding Roads

Oil and Gas Roads – BC Energy Regulator

When a company plans to construct, modify or maintain a road for access to an oil and gas site, they must receive a permit under the Oil and Gas Activities Act (OGAA), even if the access road is only to be used temporarily.

Companies planning to construct a road on private land are required to negotiate an agreement with the landowner before receiving a permit. The terms of the agreement between the company and the landowner are not included in the permit issued by the BC Energy Regulator.

If a landowner encounters a disagreement with a company about the terms of an agreement, such as the right of entry or compensation, damages to private land or compliance with the lease agreement, they can submit an application to the Surface Rights Board to have the disagreement resolved. The Right of Entry and Compensation section of this website provides information and links to the SRB forms.

Public Roads – Ministry of Transportation

Companies typically designate a preferred route they intend to use to and from an oil and gas site. This route may include public roads that fall under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI). Companies may have arranged a maintenance agreement with MoTI so landowners should first contact the company to relay their concerns or complaints about traffic or road conditions.

If landowners are not receiving a response from the company and continue to have concerns about the condition of public roads they can contact MoTI directly.

Contacts for the Peace District:

District Manager: Hali Davenport

Operations Manager, North Peace: Stephanie Lorentz


Operations Manager, South Peace: Emma McTavish


Was this article helpful?

Explore Topics

Recent Comments

    Not Finding what you’re Looking For?

    Contact Us Today.

    If you’re unable to find the topic or article you’re searching for, or just have questions for us – be sure to contact us today and a member of our team will answer your questions ASAP.

    See our contact details below or Click Here.

    Related Posts

    Schedule A and Schedule B Requirements

    Schedule A A Delegation Agreement between the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) and the BC Energy Regulator (BCER) authorizes the BCER to make decisions for oil and gas activity applications within […]

    Water Use for Natural Gas Development

    Water Use for Natural Gas Development All water in British Columbia is owned by the Crown on behalf of residents of the province. If you own land that contains or has […]

    Flaring and Air Quality

    Flaring and Air Quality Flaring is the release and disposal of gas through a flare stack during the production and processing of oil and gas activities. This is waste gas […]

    Understanding Facilities

    Facilities The term facility is used to describe a number of different pieces of equipment used for producing, processing or transporting oil and natural gas. Facility equipment can be used […]

    Application and Permitting Process – Well Sites

    Application and Permitting Process – Well Sites The drilling and production of oil and gas wells in British Columbia is regulated by the BC Energy Regulator. The Oil and Gas […]

    Pipelines and Flow Lines Defined

    Pipelines in British Columbia must meet the National Standard of Canada CSA Z662 – Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems. Pipelines that remain within provincial borders are regulated by the BC […]

    Share This