Acts, Regulations and Statutes
The Oil and Gas Activities Act (OGAA) defines the permitting authority held by the BC Oil and Gas Commission (BC OGC) to regulate oil, gas and any associated activities in the province of British Columbia. Activities regulated include wells, facilities, oil refineries, natural gas processing plants, pipelines and oil and gas roads.
The Minister of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation holds responsibility for OGAA and the BC OGC regulates oil and gas activities in British Columbia as an agent of the government. Click on this graphic for an overview of what is regulated by the BC OGC.
In addition to OGAA, the provincial regulations, acts and statutes listed below provide the BC OGC with legislative authority to make decisions on oil and gas projects.
Regulations relevant to OGAA include:
Requirements for Consultation and Notification Regulation
- Requirements for companies to engage with landowners and rights holders.
Dormancy and Shutdown Regulation
- Requirements for companies regarding wells that have not been active for an extended period of time.
Drilling and Production Regulation
- Requirements for wells during drilling, completion, production and abandonment.
- Requirements for facilities during construction, operation, maintenance and abandonment.
Emergency Management Regulation
- Regulates how companies plan for emergencies and initiate an emergency response.
- Regulates construction, maintenance, use and deactivation of oil and gas roads.
Provincial Acts referenced under OGAA defined as specified enactments:
- Oil and Gas Waste Regulation: Regulates oil and gas waste permits.
- Regulates oil and gas Master Licences to Cut, cutting permits and use of forestry roads.
- Regulates cultural and heritage sites (archaeology and fossil).
- Regulates Crown land licences of occupation and statutory rights of way.
- Regulates the use of water.
Provincial Statutes relevant to OGAA:
Agricultural Land Commission Act
- The OGC ALC Delegation Agreement grants powers to the BC OGC to decide on applications for permission for non-farm use of ALR lands for oil and gas and ancillary activities.
- Surface Lease Regulation sets out terms and conditions of surface leases on private land.